01 Quick Start
Press the reset button on the right side (as shown below). Your computer should display a new drive named ARCADE-F4.
The new drive ARCADE-F4 that appears on your computer is used for flashing the game program or for switching modes.
Note: If you've already switched firmware, you can skip this step. If pressing the reset button does not yield the expected results, try the following:
- Hold down button A without letting go, then press the reset button on the right side.
Arcade game programming platform URL: https://arcade.makecode.com
- Click the section marked 1 to enter a project name and start programming.
- The sections below 2 offer some simple tutorials and community-shared games; these can be helpful for beginners.
- Online Simulator: Simulates the effects of the logic in your code in real-time.
- Programming Block Column: Drag the programming blocks from here.
- Code Editing Area: Drag blocks from the Programming Block Column and assemble them here to build your game's appearance, interface, and logic.
Choose or Design a Character: Use the block to create a character and place it under the "On Start" block. You can choose an existing character from the library.
Connect the Character to the Keyboard: Now you can control the character's movement in the simulator.
- Add a Background: Change the background color to make the scene brighter.
- Add a Map: Change the default 16:16 dimensions to 10:8.info
The 10:8 here represents the number of blocks in the screen's length and width. The block size is set to 16 pixels by default.
- Simple Map Creation: Now you can control the 'bird' character freely with the keyboard.
- Continuous Interactions: Use the "Game Update" block to represent continuous processes.
- Basic Interaction Logic: Use the "If...then" block to represent conditions.
- Simple Interaction Example: When the bird touches the tree, a smiley face appears.
- Adding Realism: Add wall attributes to prevent characters from moving through objects.
Downloading the Program
- Click the download button at the bottom left.
- Select Meowbit hardware.
- You will get a
.uf2file. Drag it into the ARCADE-F4 drive to flash it.
🏳🌈 Go to the project: https://makecode.com/_LdFRbMU08Jgt
17 mini-courses to help you get started: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1uB4y1F7dw
Companion Book (Purchase Required)
If you prefer a physical book, you can buy it here: http://product.dangdang.com/29240752.html